[Adapted from the Springfield Republican, 06 Feb 1922.]
Majestic Movie House Destroyed Early Yesterday Morning — Loss is about $60,000 — Will be Rebuilt.
Easthampton, February 5. — The Majestic Theatre on Cottage Street, owned by Frank H. Roberts, was destroyed by a fire that started this morning at 2, causing a loss of $60,000, partly covered by insurance. The fire was discovered by Arthur Grover, who is employed at the theater, and was on duty as a special police officer last night. Mr. Grover saw smoke coming from the rear of the building and pulled in an alarm. The firemen had a hard fight to prevent the loss of buildings adjacent to the theater and could do little to save more than the walls of the theater. The outside walls are standing, but are in such a condition that they could not be used in rebuilding. The interior is a complete wreck. Henry Walz, who conducts the bowling alley in the basement of the building has a loss of several thousand dollars on the equipment of the alley.
The only cause of the fire that has been suggested is the possibility that it many have caught from a cigarette in the bowling alley, but the only reason to suppose this is that the fire started, apparently, in the rear part of the basement. The fire obtained its start between 1 o’clock, when Mr. Grover closed the building, and, when he saw smoke issuing from it. The theatre was built in 1910 by Henry Walz and has been a successful moving picture establishment. The property was sold to Goldstein Brothers some two years ago, they after holding it a few months, sold it to Mr. Robert. Goldstein Brothers did not manage the theater during their period of ownership, because a lease held by George M. Beede had not at that time expired. Mr. Roberts said today that the theater would be rebuilt as soon as it could be done. The theater accommodated about 1200.
126 Responses to “Easthampton Theater Burns”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.